Decide if you want to bake this in an oven proof skillet (cuts back on cleaning) or a casserole dish (nice if serving at the table). If using a casserole, set it next to the stove.
Preheat oven to 375.
Meanwhile, cut into 1/2 inch thick, half moon shapes, and set aside:
- 1 16 oz. tube of polenta
In a large oven-proof skillet or dutch oven, over medium high heat, in 2 batches, setting aside the first batch in bowl (casserole if using), brown:
- 2.5 pounds ground beef (salt it in the pan)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
Add the meat back to the pan and stir well, then stir in:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable (or chicken) broth
- 2 cups crushed or diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup rinsed and drained black beans or frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
Heat over medium or medium high until mixture boils then turn down heat to low. Simmer 10-15 minutes, stirring every two minutes or so.
Turn off the heat and either pour mixture in the casserole or leave it in the pan, then top with:
- polenta slices
- 1/2 cup (or less) shredded cheddar cheese
Bake 30 minutes, until cheese is browned and chili is bubbling through the polenta. Remove from the oven and let it sit at least 5 minutes before serving. Serve with sliced avocado and a squeeze of lime.