This last one started when I discovered a recipe for something called Caulislaw, at Not Quite Nigella, and used the dressing for good ole fashioned cole slaw. I've also made the Caulislaw several times. Check out both versions, which I've altered a bit.
Using a food processor, shred (or chop finely if you don't own a processor):
- half head of large green cabbage (whole if it's small)
- 2 large carrots
- 1/2 onion, rinsed in cold water, then dried with a paper towel
Dump veggies in a larger than you think you need bowl.
Whisk together in a small bowl or liquid measuring cup:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Grey Poupon mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, one tablespoon at a time (add more if it seems to thick, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, should have a smooth consistency, not runny)
Pour dressing over slaw mixture and mix with a fork until combined well. Then add:
- juice of half of a lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 pepper
Taste it. Add more salt/pepper if you like. Serve immediately or chill for later.
For the Caulislaw version, sub cauliflower for cabbage and add:
- 1/4 cup currants or raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped, flat leaf parsley