5.27.2015

(Jackie's) Hard-boiled Eggs

The other day I was chatting via phone with Friend Jackie while I was making hard boiled eggs. She overheard me scooping ice into a bowl and asked, "What's the racket?" I said, "I'm making a bowl of ice water to cool boiled eggs." Her response? "I don't think I've ever made a hard-boiled egg in my life." Oh dear.

Jackie, this one's for you.

Recipe

Note: The older the egg, the easier it peels. So check the date on the carton, and use older ones.

Place a 4-6 quart pot on the stove. Carefully add:
  • 6-12 raw eggs (for fewer than 6 use a 2-4 quart pot)
  • Cold water to cover eggs by one inch or so

Turn the stove to medium high. When eggs boil turn the heat down so eggs are simmering, not rapidly boiling. After 3 minutes, cover the pot and turn off the heat.

Set timer: 10 minutes for slightly creamy yolks, 12 for more well done, and 15 if you like super-done, chalky yolks. (I'm a 12-minute person).

Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with ice and enough cold water to cover ice. Set the bowl next to the stove. At end of cooking time, place eggs in the bowl for at least 30 seconds. Peel eggs then let them cool to room temperature. Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Rice cooker instructions: Fill pot with 3-4 rice cooker cups of water. Set steamer basket in pot and add eggs. Turn on rice cooker on the steam setting. When steam is visible set timer for 3 minutes and follow Set timer instructions above.