Last month, Ken asked me for a make-ahead side dish to serve with the ribs he was entering at Most Holy Redeemer's Ribfest Competition in Evergreen Park, IL. He made this slaw and liked it a lot.
My New Friend Ken didn't win ribfest, but he had a really good time. Maybe it was the slaw.
Adapted from BS' in the Kitchen
In a large mixing bowl combine:
- 1/2 head each purple and green cabbage, sliced thinly* (one kind of cabbage if fine, too)
- 3 granny smith apples, sliced thin about 1/2 inch wide
In a small bowl or glass measuring cup combine and whisk together:
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon (or more) grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons mayo
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Pour dressing over ingredients in big bowl. Stir and combine well. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving. Or eat it right away if you must.
Can be made one day ahead. Serve with New Friend Ken's homemade smoked ribs.
*So many ways to slice cabbage, so little time! Halve it lengthwise, then start slicing from the end opposite the core. Pitch the core and the really thick parts.