9.15.2014

Chocolate Chip Cookies

A few weeks ago Sister-in-law Amy asked if my chocolate chip cookie recipe was on my blog. "It's on the back of the chocolate chip package," I told her. "But don't you make changes?" she replied. Ah yes, she wanted my secrets.

In order to respond I had to visualize myself alone in my kitchen, tweaking with reckless abandon. I went through each step in my head, then texted her as much as I thought could help. Later that day she reported success.

There has been no record of the liberties I take with this classic recipe. Until now. Enjoy with reckless abandon.


Recipe

I use a KitchenAid stand mixer with the beater. You can use a hand held, of course, but I love my stand mixer so thought I'd share.

In a small bowl combine lightly with a whisk:
  • 2 1/4 cups white flour
  • 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

Set aside.

In a large, stainless steel bowl beat together until just combined:
  • 2 sticks cold, slightly softened, unsalted butter
  • 3/4 cup each: cane sugar and brown sugar

Add one at a time:
  • 2 eggs

Beat until combined. Then beat in:
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Add flour mixture, a third at a time, and mix in only until combined.

Using a wooden spoon fold in:
  • 1 3/4 cups Ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate chips

Refrigerate dough a few hours or overnight. Preheat oven to 375. Spoon about a tablespoon of dough for each cookie onto a cookie sheet, keeping each about 1 inch apart. Place sheet in oven. Meanwhile prepare a second batch but wait for the first tray to be done before you bake the second. Repeat until you've used up the dough (about 4 trays worth).

Bake 9 minutes for softer cookies, 11 for crunchy. Remove tray from oven. Let cookies sit about 5 minutes before moving them to cooling rack. When cookies are completely cooled store them in airtight container.