After a brisk walk in the warm, midday breeze, I was jonesin' for cold one. No, not a beer (no alchohol before 5 for me). A smoothie. I looked to the Gluten-Free Goddess for inspiration.
To me, blenders are bulky and a pain to clean. I use an immersion blender with all sorts of nifty parts, great for lazy smoothie lovers like me.
For an ice cold smoothie use frozen fruit or freeze fruit for a few minutes beforehand. Use super cold almond milk, too.
This is more frothy than thick, so add more bananas if you like a thicker drink.
In a blender combine:
- 1/2 cup ripe, halved strawberries
- 1/4 cup ripe, sliced bananas
- 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk* (or regular almond milk, add a tiny splash, 1/8 teaspoon, of vanilla), or hemp milk*
- 1/2 teaspoon agave nectar (or honey)
Blend on high speed for at least 30 seconds, until frothy. Makes 1-2 servings.
- Vanilla almond milk? Yes, no cow's milk in my house, aside from cream for coffee. Has cut down on congestion for everyone. Nevermind what Lewis Black says.
- Hemp milk? Yeah that's right. Grab "Hemp Dream," the one with the tie dyed carton. It's quite tasty, thicker than almond milk and froths up well.
- Sweetness will depend on the ripeness of your fruit. Taste test and add more agave/honey if needed.
- Try adding protein powder or a tablespoon of peanut butter.