Adapted from the Kitchn's recipe.
In a large pot, 6 quarts or larger, brown:
- 2 pounds grass-fed ground beef from Whole Foods (sprinkle meat with salt)
Set aside meat in a bowl.
In the same pan heat over medium:
- 1 Tablespoon Canola oil
When oil is hot toss in:
- 1 onion, diced
Stir and cook until onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Then add:
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeds removed & diced
Cook, stirring occasionally, until veggies are tender, not mushy. Then add:
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon each: ground cumin, dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
Stir about 30 seconds and add:
- 1 cup red wine
Stir and scrape bottom of pan (this is deglazing) until wine is almost absorbed. Don't fret if there's a bit of liquid at the bottom after a few minutes.
Add the meat back into the pan along with:
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
Bring to a simmer and turn down to lowest heat that keeps it bubbling just a bit. Simmer 45-60 minutes, until it's thickened to your liking.
- 1 28 oz can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 can kidney beans
Simmer 10-15 minutes more. Serve with:
- diced avocado, corn chips, chopped cilantro