3.21.2014

Salmon

I have a complicated relationship, strictly one-way, with the folks at Bon Appetit. I used to scoff at how easy they make their oh so difficult recipes sound. Yet those finished product photos kept me trying.

In June of 2012 the stunning cover photo of a Slow-Roasted Salmon filet catapulted me into the magazine to find the recipe. Whoa Nellie...there was a yogurt sauce and tomatoes and couscous that accompanied the fish. That was lot for someone like me. Instead I mastered the fish, saving the yogurt sauce and couscous for another time. Baby steps, people!

Recipe
Adapted from Bon Appetit (Check out the full recipe with its breathtaking photo.)

You'll need 2-3 pounds center-cut skin on salmon fillet, preferable wild king, pin bones removes (I use Whole Foods Icelandic). This can be 2 or 3 pieces, or just one. You may wonder who's eating all this fish. We like leftovers, and having people for dinner. So I can feed 4-6 people for one meal or 3 for two. Win-win!

Preheat oven to 325.

Line with foil a large, metallic baking pan.

Pour into pan:
  • 2-4 tablespoons olive oil (adjust oil for amount of fish) spreading to coat (I use a paper towel or pastry brush)

Arrange on oiled pan:
  • 1/2 bunch each, dill fronds and thyme sprigs, OR 1 full bunch of either (no need to de-stem or chop)

Top the herbs with the salmon filets then drizzle with:
  • 1-2 tablespoons olive oil (again adjusting based on amount of fish)
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1-2 teaspoons Herbes de Provence or dried thyme

Place pan in the oven and roast 25-30 minutes.

When's it really done? Bon Appetit says "a small knife will slide easily through flesh" but here's what I do: take a fork and flake off a piece at one of the ends. Sometimes the center will take longer to cook but that's okay. It will continue to cook a bit after you remove it from the oven. Let it sit for a few before serving. It won't be piping hot but really good fish rarely is. If you must cook it to oblivion to keep yourself from dreaming of food poisoning so be it. But you have been warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Observations? Do tell. I'm listening.