3.12.2014

Roasted Mushrooms

Forgive me readers, for I have sinned. It's been 2.75 months since my last post. I blame the polar vortex, also responsible for me wearing pajamas to chauffeur family members, refusing to take out the trash, and clinging to my bed until someone holding a backpack and a trumpet cries out, "Mom...I'm gonna be late!" Never mind that all the while I was cooking, baking, and not sharing. Finally it's warm enough to type.

Miracles are everywhere, at least that's what it says on the wall of the bathroom at my yoga studio. I consider this mushroom dish to be right up there with the U.S. Olympic Hockey Team upsetting the Russians in 1980. Husband Todd says I exaggerate. Perhaps. Still, when it's negative 55 degrees with the wind chill, a healthy, hot meal feels like a miracle to me.

Recipe

This is Smitten Kitchen's recipe, which I've made twice in four weeks. As usual, here's a dumbed-down version with slight variations.

Preheat oven to 450.

Use a shallow 1 1/2-2 quart casserole dish or roasting pan (8 x 8 dimensions or close).

Combine, then stir well using a rubber spatula:
  • 1 lb. mushrooms, wiped clean with a paper towel, stems trimmed, halved lengthwise
  • 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and chopped
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Scatter on the mushrooms:
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, sliced

Set timer for 20 minutes and roast, stirring halfway through, if you like. When there's a butter sauce at the bottom and the guys look good, try one. If tasty remove from the oven.

Stir in:
  • 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

Serve with crusty bread, polenta, or alongside meat or fish. Also you can make ahead and serve at room temperature, or nuke for a minute or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Observations? Do tell. I'm listening.