2.19.2013

Soup and Bread Debrief

Soup and Bread was quite the experience. Here's how my 3 gallons of ribollita and I spent the evening.

I was sandwiched between a culinary school graduate (chef?) and his rabbit soup and Foodgasm's hostess and her blood red beet soup. They took turns showing me the ropes. Don't rest the ladle on the table. Remove slow cooker lid for presentation. Add "made with chicken broth" on the soup sign so the vegans know. Helpful hints I was grateful to have.

Meanwhile my soup was heating oh so slowly and needed to be a safe 135 degrees. Rabbit soup guy wanted a taste regardless of its 120 degree-ness. Are you sure? I ask. He nods assuredly as I hand him a bowlful. He likes it (or so he said). I exhaled and returned to temperature surveillance.

Finally my soup was ready. I ladled it into bowls held by grinning people who believed they were about to eat a professionally prepared meal. At least one person returned for seconds from the cook formerly know as Swedish Chef II. I cannot believe they let me into this event, I thought. Clearly no one is doing background checks. I even ran out of soup before night's end.

So...banned from Soup and Bread? I think not.

Thank you founders Martha Bayne and Sheila Sachs for taking a chance on an unknown kid (that's a line from the movie Summer School in case it sounds familiar).

Check out Soup and Bread's own recap of the evening which includes photos and more info on the cooks. And come to The Hideout Wednesday nights from 5:30-8 through mid April for hot bowls of homemade goodness.

Next post: Ribollita Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Observations? Do tell. I'm listening.