I used Gluten-Free Goddess's "Favorite Chili" as a base. For those of you still hating recipes without exact measurements, face your fear! You cannot ruin this chili unless you drop it on the floor. So be prepared to taste. Keep a little ramekin and a spoon next to the pot. Scoop out a spoonful (when it's time, see below), let cool a minute so you don't burn your tongue and taste the thing. How will you know if it needs more salt and/or pepper? Only you can decide (facing fear, remember? it's only chili). Onward.
Heat over medium heat in a large stockpot (6-8 quarts, or larger):
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
When oil is fragrant and/or beginning to shimmer add:
- 1 onion, diced
Give it a good stir and cover with the lid. Turn the heat down but keep it sizzling. Stir every 2 minutes or so (when you lift the lid let the condensation from the lid drip into the pan, keeps onions from burning).
When the onions are translucent add:
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 teaspoons each, ground cumin and chili powder
Stir for a minute or less only until fragrant. Add:
- 2 peeled carrots, 1 peeled sweet potato, 1/2 head cauliflower (stems included), diced into 1 inch pieces (you can sub veggies, see original recipe)
Stir well with a heat proof spatula (scrape the onions and seasonings from the bottom to combine with the veggies). Cover and gently simmer about 5 minutes.
- 2-4 cups Imagine brand vegetable or chicken broth, or a combo, enough to cover veggies by an inch or so
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 15 oz. can diced (or crushed) Muir Glen fire roasted tomatoes (with or without chiles)
- 2 15 oz. cans rinsed, drained beans (I used kidney and black)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste, about 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, add more later if needed
Give it another good stir. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer on lowest heat possible for about 30 minutes, stirring every 10. Taste and add more salt or pepper as needed. You can also cook it for 15, turn off the heat and leave it for a few hours. The flavors will meld as it sits.
When ready to serve stir in optional chopped cilantro (a few tablespoons) and squeeze in 1/2 lime.
Serve with sliced avocado, tortilla chips and/or cornbread.