5.22.2012

Basil Marinated Chicken

My friend Gayle finally, FINALLY purchased her first gas grill. A move she's been contemplating for some time. Last night she grilled chicken and after dinner she "had no pans!" As in no pans (or pots) to wash.

No pots or pans to wash after grilling? You don't say! She considered this a miracle then asked me, Think I can cook breakfast on the grill? Of course, I told her. Toast!

I don't know what marinade she used but here's my favorite for grilled chicken. I nabbed this one from Food Network.

Recipe

Whisk together:
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon chopped basil leaves
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion (or shallot)
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped

Go ahead and add another 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and vinegar if you've got more than 2 pounds of chicken (butchers aren't always perfect). You can also add the extra liquid after you do this:

Transfer the marinade to a gallon-sized Ziploc bag. Add:
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 2 pounds)

Move the chicken pieces around in the marinade, so they get to know each other. Add extra liquid if the pieces aren't slipping around easily. Capeesh?

Seal the bag completely and turn it a few times to combine. Refrigerate at least 3 hours, up to 12.

Preheat grill by setting burners to high. When it reaches 450 or so turn off the middle burner and turn the other two to medium-low. The temperature should hold steady at 350.

Drain the chicken. Trash the marinade. Bunch up a few paper towels and soak them in a high heat oil (I use sunflower). When the grill's ready oil the grates. Arrange chicken on the grates and close lid. Flip after ten minutes then cook another ten. Hopefully that'll do it. I usually cut into the largest piece to see if it's done.

Best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Observations? Do tell. I'm listening.