5.11.2011

Aunt Amy's Marinated Grilled Chicken

We Americans love our chicken, whether it's wings or drumsticks, roasted or fried. As long as, at least in my house, and I'm quoting Chris Rock here, Daddy gets the big piece of chicken. Once he does the kids grab their favorite parts and start gnawing. My 9 year-old eats a drumstick from the top down, marrow before meat. As husband Todd says, animals eat animals.

Here's a chicken recipe my sister-in-law made for us that we love. Though it's adapted from a Tyler Florence recipe, the kids call it, "Aunt Amy's Chicken."

Recipe

Because the original recipe produced too much marinade for the meat, we halved the ingredients aside from the chicken and ginger (Amy and I agree there's no such thing as overdoing fresh ginger).

Combine and whisk together:
  • 1 cup soy sauce (I use low-sodium)
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons sesame oil (any kind)
  • 1/2 lime, juiced*
  • 4 inches fresh ginger*, chopped or 1 1/2 teaspoons ground
  • 1 garlic clove, chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro* leaves

Transfer marinade to a gallon-sized sealable plastic bag and add:
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 2 pounds)

Close well and turn bag around a few times to combine. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, up to 12.

Before grilling, season chicken with:
  • salt and pepper (I always forget to do this and it turns out fine so let's call this step optional.)

Now, I could tell you to preheat your grill, arrange the chicken pieces on the grates and cook ten minutes per side. But I'm not, because every grill is different and who knows what shape and size your breasts are (I get one cheap shot a year). Instead, I'll offer this: grill chicken to the best of your ability.

**Extra! Extra!**
  • Am I really going to tell you how to juice a lime? Yes. Cut it in half and use a fork by twisting the tines into the flesh. Works beautifully.
  • For fresh ginger peel the skin with a carrot peeler then peel the flesh onto a cutting board and chop it up good.
  • I love cilantro and think it should be its own food group. Recently I learned that the stems pack much of the flavor so use a few, just mince them well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Observations? Do tell. I'm listening.