4.10.2011

Strawberry Banana Smoothie

Yesterday it was 45 degrees in Chicago. Today, 88. I won't dare to wear shorts (might bring snow tomorrow) but instead jeans,  a t-shirt and shoes without socks. Close enough.

After a brisk walk in the warm, midday breeze, I was jonesin' for cold one. No, not a beer (no alchohol before 5 for me). A smoothie. I looked to the Gluten-Free Goddess for inspiration.


Recipe

To me, blenders are bulky and a pain to clean. I use an immersion blender with all sorts of nifty parts, great for lazy smoothie lovers like me.

For an ice cold smoothie use frozen fruit or freeze fruit for a few minutes beforehand. Use super cold almond milk, too.

This is more frothy than thick, so add more bananas if you like a thicker drink.

In a blender combine:
  • 1/2 cup ripe, halved strawberries
  • 1/4 cup ripe, sliced bananas
  • 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk* (or regular almond milk, add a tiny splash, 1/8 teaspoon, of vanilla), or hemp milk*
  • 1/2 teaspoon agave nectar (or honey)

Blend on high speed for at least 30 seconds, until frothy. Makes 1-2 servings.

**Extra! Extra!**
  • Vanilla almond milk? Yes, no cow's milk in my house, aside from cream for coffee. Has cut down on congestion for everyone. Nevermind what Lewis Black says.
  • Hemp milk? Yeah that's right. Grab "Hemp Dream," the one with the tie dyed carton. It's quite tasty, thicker than almond milk and froths up well.
  • Sweetness will depend on the ripeness of your fruit. Taste test and add more agave/honey if needed.
  • Try adding protein powder or a tablespoon of peanut butter.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous15.4.11

    I also like to add a little yogurt to thicken my smoothies, and add some flavor. Greek yogurt isn't as sweet but adds a punch of protein, but some fat free vanilla works perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To anonymous: You bet on all points! This recipe is fun to play with and nearly impossible to mess up (unless you're me ten years ago).

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Questions? Observations? Do tell. I'm listening.