In a bowl combine:
- 1 shallot*, minced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
Let the mixture sit for a minute or two (infuses shallot flavor into the vinegar) while you gather the other ingredients, or while you chop your salad.
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- salt & pepper to taste (try 1/4 teaspoon salt and 3 or 4 turns on the pepper mill)
Then slowly pour in, while whisking:
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
That's it. Really. Now go toss the salad!
- Shallots look like teeny tiny onions and are usually near the garlic. Or ask the produce guy.
- This makes enough dressing if you're feeding a crowd, but try halving the ingredients if it's only you and a date. I just hate wasting that extra virgin olive oil!