11.19.2010

Brussel Sprouts

A few years ago I found a bunch of brussel sprouts in my CSA box and panicked. My mother used to nuke these babies until mushy (or so I remember). The result was a bitter dish I would rather not eat, and didn't.

But I sensed this time would be different. In Farmer Vicki's weekly emails that previewed the upcoming CSA box, she touted her vegetables, prepared simply by steaming or sauteing, as "yum!" She inspired me to keep it simple. I headed to the Joy of Cooking book for guidance.

A winner was crowned: Becker's Brussel Sprouts, prepared 10:30 a.m. on a Thursday morning, devoured by me and Todd in less than ten minutes. Why cook brussel sprouts before noon? you ask. So when they turn out bad I can start over with a different vegetable at dinner, of course. If tasty, my plan was to throw 'em in the fridge, reheat later. If not, into the trash and onto the next bunch of veggies in the box. No harm, no foul. I was not, however, banking on brussel sprouts for breakfast. Who knew?

Recipe

Rinse, trim stems, remove outer leaves from and slice in half lengthwise:
  • About 12 brussel sprouts

Heat in medium skillet over medium low heat:
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil

Add and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown:
  • 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed with the back of a knife into a few pieces

Remove garlic and discard, reserving butter/oil in pan. Place sprouts cut side down in pan, cover and cook over low heat, 15-20 minutes. Keep it simmering. If the pan looks too dry pour in a little more oil by pouring a little on a spoon and distributing around pan (you don't want to disturb the delicate browning process).

When cut side down is browned, flip them over and stir them around a minute or two. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.

Joy of Cooking suggests serving with a sprinkling with parmesan but I never do. Sometimes I squeeze fresh lemon juice over them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Observations? Do tell. I'm listening.